Word Warrior Studies # 2: Wolves at the Door
The world today offers a virtual smorgasbord of religions, thousands and thousands of them. People commonly believe that religion and Christianity are exactly the same thing. It’s also popular to proclaim that no matter how bizarre the beliefs and practices of a group may be, if they call themselves a church or religion, etc., this makes them just another one of many “pathways to God.” This is totally and completely false on both counts and one of Satan’s most powerful, vicious, and effective lies.
Millions and millions of “believers in something” can be divided into JUST TWO groups:(1) Christians (2) Religionists. Simply put, Christianity is GOD’S WAY, what he accepts for the redemption of sinful man as well as how to live for him once we are his child.
Religion is MAN’S WAY - what he thinks God OUGHT to accept for the redemption of man. Day after day, millions listen to their “preachers” and leaders expound on their particular doctrine of how they’ve corrected God’s poor judgement and mistakes. These “corrected” beliefs and practices of how to live, worship and get to heaven are all over the place from worshipping cows and rats, to believing if you do everything just right:, you’ll have a family and be the deity of your own little world throughout eternity.
Those who don’t have their own ideas blindly follow someone who is charismatic or sounds right. Millions never crack a Bible to see if what they’re being taught is the truth—a deadly mistake.
Every “church” on the face of the earth was started by somebody at some point in time. Christ called out the first New Testament Church during his personal ministry and set in place those doctrines acceptable to God. So why did man think the world needed another church? Because, like Adam and Eve, mankind got too big for his britches.
Of the estimated 4,300 to 4,500 identifiable churches/religions in existence now, every single one was started by a man or woman who thought God got all, or a big part of salvation, worship, church, etc., all wrong and needed their help to straighten things out and set the world on their idea of the correct path. They believe they understand God’s intents and purposes better than he did and so, start their own religion. This was exactly what Cain, the world’s first religionist did.
Here’s only part of what the scriptures say about these people:
1. They are cunning deceivers, masters of disguise.
2. They appear innocent and well-meaning but underneath they are ravening wolves.
3. false teachers who privily (covertly) shall bring in damnable heresies, bringing to themselves swift destruction (and you, too, if you follow them,)
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. – 2 Peter 2:1
4. false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. – 2 Corinthians 11:3
5. Some false teachers began in the first church but left God’s doctrines to follow seducing spirits and doctrines of devils;- Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; - 1 Timothy 4:1
6. They corrupt the word of God. - For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God. 2 Corinthians 2:17
7. Beguile you with enticing words. – And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. - Colossians 2:4
8. They twist the scriptures to their own destruction, and yours if you follow them.
As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. - 2 Peter 3:16
9. Many of the early false teachers began in the New Testament church, then quickly (Christ was barely crucified) moved to “another gospel” of their own conception – man’s ideas.
I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: - Galatians 1:6-9
10. They present themselves, appear to be apostles of Christ. For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.- 2 Corinthians 11:13
11. They are masters of persuasion and deceit. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. – Matthew 24:24